About Me

My photo
I am a wife, a mom, an occupational therapist and a photographer.

Friday, March 11, 2011

68. Nickname

Yesterday was the Golden Valley High School Winter Sports Banquet. Nicholas was invited as a member of the Frosh Soccer Team. Part of the evening is dedicated to recognizing Scholar Athletes: any athlete who maintained at least a 3.5 or better academic grade point average while playing for GVHS.
Nicholas is an excellent student and of course received an Award. Unfortunately, it was addressed to Nick Devantier rather than Nicholas Devantier. This is the second Scholar Athlete Award he receives since beginning High School and both were wrongly addressed! I spoke to his soccer coach at the beginning of the season and asked that his full name be used (at least on paper). I guess he forgot! This is a pet peeve of mine and Allan says I should just let it go. But I can't! I named my son Nicholas. His family and close friends call him Nicholas. Up until High School, all his Awards were addressed to Nicholas, not Nick.
I asked Nicholas if that's how he wants to be addressed later in life. Of course it's not and despite the fact that he always introduces himself as Nicholas, people continuously call him Nick. So I explained that it is his job to let people know how he wants to be addressed. Hopefully, he will tell his track coaches before he receives another Award for Nick Devantier!

No comments:

Post a Comment