About Me

My photo
I am a wife, a mom, an occupational therapist and a photographer.

Friday, December 23, 2011

306. Traditions

Traditions are important; I try to keep my French Canadian heritage and to pass it on to the kids. So, I made some tourtieres (meat pies) today. Tourtieres are a French Canadian tradition. I only made two, since it's only for the five of us. But it reminded me of when I was young; My mom used to make dozens of tourtieres and pies for Christmas. She would spend an entire day (or two) baking. Everyone loved her tourtieres and they would go fast. She also made "sugar pies" which remind me of pecan pies but without the pecans! They, too, were very popular in the Seguin family and would go fast! 
Allan's family, being Danish, also have lots of traditions; The "Rice Ala Mande"is a Danish tradition that I have made in the past; it's a rice pudding, mixed with whipped cream, vanilla and almonds. It is usually served cold with a cherry sauce. Normally there is a whole almond in the desert and the person who finds it wins a special price. I am thinking that maybe I will make it for tomorrow's dinner. (No promises).
I also baked other goodies today; some new creations:
Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies and Cranberry Rocky Road Candy.
Both recipes turned out pretty good!



No comments:

Post a Comment